Medical Use of Radioactive Materials

A physician who administers radioactive material to humans must have specific training and experience. This also applies to medical physicists who conduct the treatment planning for specific cancer treatments. Physicians who want to become an Authorized User (AU) of radioactive materials and medical physicists who want to become an Authorized Medical Physicist (AMP) for gamma knife treatments must be approved by the Radiation Safety Committee (RSC).

Radiation Use Authorization (RUA)

EH&S’s Radiation Safety team issues Radiation Use Authorizations (RUAs) to principal investigators who use radioactive material.

Principal Investigators (PIs) and researchers who work with radioactive material must be properly trained, and must conduct the work under a Radiation Use Authorization (RUA) issued by EH&S’s Radiation Safety team.