We rely on electricity, but sometimes underestimate its capability of causing injury. Even household current (120 volts) can stop your heart. UW personnel need to be aware of the hazards electricity poses, such as shock, fire and explosion, and either eliminate or control those hazards.
Extension cords, surge suppressors, and power strips are commonly used at the University. While extension cords are approved only for temporary use with portable appliances, power strips and surge suppressors may be used permanently if listed and in good condition.
Fire safety at the University is regulated by the Seattle Fire Code as well as the Washington Industrial Safety and Health Act (WISHA). Enforcement of these codes and standards are handled by local fire departments and the Department of Labor & Industries. EH&S helps assure compliance with these codes, protect and promote the public safety of faculty, staff, students, visitors and emergency personnel on campus.
Nuisance alarms are disruptive to the teaching and research mission of the University and contribute to a dangerous complacency in occupants, who may be slower to evacuate in an actual emergency. Contractors and construction managers can help prevent nuisance alarms by taking measures prior to and during construction.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a clear, colorless and tasteless gas. It can be toxic or even lethal at high concentrations. Follow these the tips in the Carbon Monoxide Focus Sheet when selecting and installing a CO detector.