Laser Worker Safety Training
This is a DOE Laser Worker Training course used by UW and it satisfies the EH&S Laser Safety Training requirements.
The online training works with either Firefox or Internet Explorer browsers.
This course provides information on the fundamentals of laser as a part of electromagnetic spectrum, and the characteristics of lasers. It also provides information of potential hazards associated with working with or around laser- how laser radiation may harm the eyes or skin of people exposed, and how to minimize the risks/ the recommended safe work practices.
The modules covered in this course are:
• Biological effects
• Engineering Controls
• Administrative/Procedural Controls
• Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
• Fiber optics
• Non-beam Hazards
You will need to complete the entire modules, pass all quizzes and a final exam in order to fulfill this course credit.
- use Class 3b and 4 Lasers with a power greater than 5 milliwatts (mW)
- This course is required for anyone (PIs, students, fellows, lab managers, research staff, etc.) who may be exposed to laser radiation from a Class 3B or Class 4 laser in the course of their work.
- Principal Investigators (PIs) if their research/lab includes the use of Class 3B or Class 4 laser(s).