Additional environmental health and safety resources
The Guide for Principal Investigators (PI Guide) is an introduction to Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) resources for PIs who are new to the University of Washington. This guide is a reference tool that outlines a PI's health and safety responsibilities when working with potential hazardous materials and equipment in a research laboratory.
In addition, EH&S offers guidance and resources on the following topics:
- Animal Use Medical Screening
- Bloodborne Pathogen Control Plan Template
- Guide for selecting personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Lab Safety Design Guide
- Medical Clearance
- Move In Checklist
- Sharps Safety in Research
- Use Authorizations (Biological, Radiological)
Safety reminders for posting in the lab:
- Biological Safety Cabinet
- Fume Hood
- Packaging Sharps and Lab Glass Waste
- Radioactive Materials Shipment Request
- Safety Data Sheets (SDSs)
- Sharps and Lab Glass
- Specific Chemical Hazards
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Working Safety with Dry Ice
EH&S offers required and recommended training courses for faculty, staff and students who handle potentially hazardous materials.
The Lab Safety Training Matrix can help you identify courses you need to work safely with potentially hazardous materials.
Safety Considerations for Youth in STEM Environments are guidelines are to assist those planning and holding a science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) focused youth program at the University. The goal is to provide a valuable learning experience while ensuring the health and safety of minors, employees and students.