When to Go to the Employee Health Center


 Should you go to the Employee Health Center if you are sick or injured at work?

The answer is: No.

--If you are experiencing a life-threatening emergency, go to the nearest hospital emergency room.

--If you have an on-the-job injury, you should see your health care provider or a provider who treats workers’ compensation (L&I) injuries. You should also report the injury to your supervisor and complete an accident report within 24 hours.

The Employee Health Center provides scheduled preventive health care for UW employees who are at higher risk for occupational exposures to potentially hazardous materials. We provide physical exams, screenings, vaccinations and medical surveillance for personnel working in high risk areas, such as research labs, animal care centers, clinical settings and the UW Police Department.

The Employee Health Center does not provide primary health care services, and its clinicians cannot provide on-the-job injury diagnosis and treatment. If you have an on-the-job accident or injury that triggers a workers’ compensation claim, you should see your health care provider. (You can also see a health care provider at Hall Health Center).

However, if a UW employee or health sciences student has a bloodborne pathogen exposure or other biological exposure, the Employee Health Center has a medical management program ready to assist with addressing it. Our clinicians follow specific post-exposure protocols and we will provide case management services to the employee to ensure they receive the tests and treatment they need.

The Employee Health Center is located on the ground floor of the Hall Health Center, one floor below the main entrance, in Suite G-07A.

For questions or to make an appointment, please call 206.685.1026.