Comment Number

(additional information for survey team members and report recipients)

Specific Code References

Does the shop have a current version of the Department Health and Safety Plan (APP) that includes shop safety or a specific Shop Safety Plan?
Every Organizational Unit at UW is required to have a Health and Safety Plan, or Accident Prevention Plan. See the Shop Safety Plan template.

If the Organizational Unit contains a shop, the hazards inherent to shops must be addressed in their plan. This can be accomplished by revising the departmental plan or developing a separate plan as an appendix to the departmental plan, EH&S has developed a template that may be tailored and serve an effective plan appendix to a departmental health and safety plan.

All employees in the shop need to know where to access the shop safety information, so it is expected that a copy of the Shop Safety Plan will be stored in the shop.

-WAC 296-800-14005
-WAC 296-800-12005
-UW APS 10.3
-Seattle Fire Code CH 50


Do all shop personnel have access to written procedures for working with hazardous equipment that document safety procedures and tasks?
All shops must have written Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) that document safe procedures to follow when working with specific machinery or hazardous chemicals. The SOP can describe a process, or the SOP can detail how to use a machine or chemical safely.

The SOP should be dated and kept current. you can download the Shop SOP Template for creating an SOP is available . A number of other SOPs are also available at the Shop Safety page. Information to help shops perform a hazard assessment of various shop equipment that may be useful in developing SOPs is also available there.

-WAC 296-800-14005
-Seattle Fire Code CH 50

3 Are all shop accidents and near-misses reported using Online Accident Reporting System (OARS)?
All accidents and near misses that take place in the shop must be reported in the UW OARS. See more information on OARS and Accident and Injury Reporting.
WAC 296-800-14005

Was a safety self-audit performed within the last 12 months?
To determine whether work areas meet the general safety and health requirements, departments/organizational units must conduct regular, thorough inspections to evaluate work conditions and work practices. These inspections should be held at regular intervals to insure continuing compliance with standards.

Download a A Shop Self-Inspection Checklist to use or a custom checklist may be developed.

- UW Shop Safety Program
- WAC 296-800

Is the shop kept secure when unoccupied and effectively managed to prevent access by unauthorized personnel?
Only trained, authorized or escorted personnel should enter shops. Shop space should be secured when unattended. When the space is attended the shop safety coordinator and other authorized personnel should greet any and all visitors and escort them through the shop, providing help as necessary.

If a shop is open to other areas, signs and floor demarcation must be provided to help prevent unauthorized access and use of the shop.
During the survey, EH&S will review doors providing access to the space and inquire about when the doors are secured and unsecured. EH&S will also ask about shop attendance and how visitors and other unauthorized personnel are managed.

RCW 49.17.060(1)
6 Are general safety signs posted and conspicuous?
Post signs to communicate hazards that may be present in the shop. At a minimum the following signs must be provided:
  • Shop Entry Caution Sign: a MyChem caution sign posted at the shop entrance outside the door.
  • General PPE: a general sign indicating PPE must be used should be posted.
  • Shop Rules: sign or poster outlining safety rules. The EH&S general safety poster may be used.

EH&S will provide these general signs as part of our initial survey in 2015.

WAC 296-800-160

Are walkways, hazard zones, and restricted areas clearly indicated?
If the shop is arranged so that personnel must travel through the shop to gain access to other areas or rooms, a safe walkway must be indicated by marking the floor using paint or other durable and permanent indicator.

Additional signs should be provided as required with a priority on improving awareness for serious hazards. More resources on these topics are available at Caution Signs for Hazards.

RCW 49.17.060(1)

Hazard Communication

Has the chemical inventory and contact information been reviewed and updated in MyChem within the last year?
Chemical inventories need to be reviewed and updated annually and safety data sheets readily available (paper or electronic) as a condition of the Seattle Fire Department operating permit. All rooms with chemicals and compressed gases must be included. Enter chemicals into the MyChem system indicating the specific room where they will be stored.

To create an account contact EH&S at (206) 616-4046, or email Additional information is available in Section 2.B of the UW Laboratory Safety Manual.

-WAC 296-800-17015
-IFC Chapter 50
-UW Lab Safety Manual



Can the shop readily access an MSDS/SDS for all chemicals?
Chemical inventories need to be reviewed and updated annually and safety data sheets readily available (paper or electronic) as a condition of the Seattle Fire Department operating permit. All rooms with chemicals and compressed gases that are under a department's control must be included.

Enter where the chemicals will actually be stored into MyChem, including accessory spaces. To create a MyChem account contact EH&S at (206) 616-4046, or email

- UW Lab Safety Manual, Section 2
Training and PPE

Has a safety training assessment been completed for shop staff and users?
Complete a safety training assessment to determine required and recommended safety training classes for staff and shop users. See the Safety Training Matrix to assist in determining training requirements.

WAC 296-828-20015


Has EH&S general safety training been completed and documented for shop staff?
All personnel must complete general safety training provided by EH&S, or an equivalent organized training. Specific requirements will depend on the type of shop and the related processes conducted. Documentation needs to be available that identifies completed general safety training for each member of the staff and authorized shop users. A documentation checklist is available to help document this training.

WAC 296-828-20015


Has shop specific training been completed and documented?
In addition to general safety training offered by EH&S, all personnel must complete shop specific safety training. Shop users must be provided training for each piece of equipment they use, including both power tools and hand tools. Training need not be formal, but should be documented at the time given, and retained in department records in case of future inspections.

Simple checklists can be used to review safe equipment operation, and are available for most types of equipment on-line. EH&S will inquire about procedures for students and new employees, and request documentation that shows evidence that shop specific training is being provided. For more information see the Shop Safety page.

-WAC 296-828-20015
-Seattle Fire Code CH 50

13 Has a PPE hazard assessment been completed for the shop?

A shop specific Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) hazard assessment that covers all operations must be completed and kept on file for all activities. EH&S has developed a Shop PPE Hazard Assessment Guide that may be helpful in conducting an assessment.


-UW APS 10.4
- UW Shop PPE Hazard Assessment Guide
14 Have all shop users been trained on the PPE hazard assessment and how to select, use, inspect, and maintain PPE?
Documentation needs to be available that identifies shop specific training for each shop user. EH&S has developed a Shop PPE Hazard Assessment Guide that may be helpful in conducting an assessment.

WAC 296-800-14020, 296-

Emergency Supplies/Equipment/Management
15 Does the shop have a chemical spill kit?
If working with hazardous chemicals, a spill kit needs to be available for use to clean up small spills. Chemical spill kits are available from VWR through UW E-Procurement. They can also be purchased on campus, at Biochemistry Stores, or from the Chemistry stockroom. Information about spill kit contents and how to order may them be found in the Ordering a Spill Kit Focus Sheet.
UW Laboratory Safety Manual
16 Does the shop have a properly stocked first aid kit?
First aid kits are required and need to be stocked and accessible. Do not lock, but a seal is acceptable. See UW First Aid Plan Guidelines.

WAC 296-800-15020


Are eyewashes and showers accessible within 10 seconds travel (approx. 50 feet) from work areas that present exposure hazards?
All shops working with materials that are corrosive, strong irritants, toxic, or biohazards need to have an emergency washing facilities (e.g. eyewash, safety shower) located within ten seconds of the injured person (a travel distance of 50 ft. is deemed to satisfy the ten second requirement). Travel through one door that is not lockable in the direction of travel is permissible. More information is on the Emergency Washing Equipment page.

Existing shops may be eligible for capital safety funding. To request funding complete and submit the Capital Safety Request Form.

WAC 296-800-15030
18 Are eyewashes and showers maintained and routinely tested?
Eye washes will be noted as deficient for any of the following:
  • Unit is in disrepair
  • Unit is dirty or contaminated
  • No test label from Facility Services (FS)
  • Test label but no test date by FS within one year

WISHA WAC requires that eyewashes be flushed weekly to assure the water is clear, and does not have microorganism or foreign particles. EH&S will verbally encourage weekly flushing but it may not be formally documented in the survey report.

Standalone (unplumbed) eyewash units are allowed in areas without plumbing. These units need to be refilled every 6 months.

-WAC 296-800-15030
-WAC 296-800-15035

Engineering Controls

Do all machines have the proper guards to protect users from injury?
A guard is defined as a device that is intended to help prevent an operator from being injured by coming into contact with moving machinery. Guards should not be confused with other safeguards.

Guards are typically available from the equipment manufacturer and must remain in place and be maintained. Older equipment that does not have a guard and equipment that is not supported by the manufacturer should be retrofitted with a guard by a qualified person. Equipment that presents a hazard that cannot be retrofitted should be provided with a sign “do not use”. Consider outsourcing the work or directing personnel to other equipment with guards.

For the initial 2015 survey, for the purpose of making a determination on this item, EH&S will focus on stationary saws including but not limited to band saws, table saws, and radial arm saws.

WAC 296-806-20028 to 20040


Does the shop have a procedure regarding taking defective equipment or tools out of service?
The shop safety coordinator is responsible for having tools and equipment in good working condition and tagging out of service all equipment that is not working properly.

EH&S will ask for a copy of a written procedure and request the shop to provide examples of tagged equipment and tools.

-UW Shop Safety Program
-WAC 296-800-11030


Are all hazardous pieces of machinery mounted to a bench top or the floor and secured?
Machinery that vibrates or is top heavy needs to be secured/mounted to the floor or a bench to prevent tipping hazards. Machines designed to stay in one place need to be secured so they won't move or change position during use.

This applies to all equipment that is not considered to be portable.
If a shop needs to be modular and reconfigure its layout seasonally, equipment should be secured using removable fasteners. Hazard zones, restricted areas, and safe pathways for each shop configuration must be indicated.

WAC 296-806-20002

Is all hot work adequately controlled in accordance with permit conditions?
Hot work operations include cutting, welding, brazing soldering, grinding, and similar activities using an open flame or generating sparks. Hot work in shops should generally be limited to designated locations away from combustible and hazardous materials. Hot work must be permitted by the local fire department and operations must conform to permit conditions. More information about hot work may be found on the EH&S Hot Work page.

Smoke and other emissions must be captured at the source with some form of mechanical ventilation for designated hot work locations.

EH&S will inquire about hot work operations in the shop and if any exists, survey team will ask to see a copy of the fire department permit and confirm that permit conditions are being followed.

More information about hot work, including permit applications and conditions, may be found on the EH&S Hot Work page.

- IFC Chapter 35
- WAC 296-24-680 to 715
- IMC 510

23 Are processes that emit vapors, gases, or fumes adequately captured at the source by local ventilation (hoods, snorkel)?
All welding or other processes or reactions that emit vapors, gases, or fumes need to be provided with local ventilation (e.g., snorkel, dedicated local exhaust system) so that emissions are captured at the source, discharged to the exterior of the building and not pulled in by other fans or through building openings.

IMC Section 510


Are incompatible compressed gas cylinders segregated when they are in storage?
Gas cylinders containing gases that are incompatible must be physically segregated to prevent incompatible materials from reacting with each other.

Compressed gases may also be separated in exhausted enclosures such as a fume hood or gas cabinet. Cylinders in use and one spare backup are exempt from the segregation requirement within shops. For the purpose of this assessment, the one cylinder and the single backup, wherever it is located within the shop, will be considered in-use.

Oxy-acetylene welding units are considered to be in-use and exempt. For more information see the Gas Cylinder Use SOP.

-IFC 5303
- WAC 296-24-68203
25 Are gas cylinders labeled and are valve protection caps in place for gas cylinders not in active use?
All gas cylinders not actively being used need to have valve protection caps secured and in place to protect the valve. This requirement does not apply to cylinders in use as defined above.
- IFC 5303
- WAC 296-24-68203

Are compressed gas cylinders secured to prevent them from falling or tipping?
All gas cylinders must be secured using either a chain or approved bracket that is attached to a fixed structure. One restraint is required. Best practice is to secure cylinders taller than 24 inches at 1/3 and 2/3 of the cylinder height.

For more information see the Gas Cylinder Use SOP.

- IFC 5303
- WAC 296-24-68203
27 Is PPE in good condition, properly stored, and easily accessible?
Ensure PPE is available for shop users and visitors. Be sure that PPE is clean, in good condition, and stored so it does not get damaged. Visitor PPE should be kept near the entrance.
WAC 296-800-160
28 Is the shop adequately organized, orderly and clean to provide sufficient work space for operations without accidents or other preventable incidents?
Shops should be arranged to allow adequate room for students and employees to move around, avoid distraction, perform work with manual tools and fixed machinery, and to provide enough separation to prevent people or the material they are working with from coming into contact with one another.
WAC 296-806-20006

Are the shop floors free of slip/trip hazards, clutter or obstructions to safe movement?
Remove objects on the floor and keep it clean to eliminate trip hazards. Debris should be collected and floors swept daily where systems do not effectively capture materials from cutting, milling, grinding and other shop activity.

Dust collections systems should be maintained and emptied regularly.
Unnecessary equipment, stock and supplies should be discarded if there is not adequate room to store them.

WAC 296-800-22010 to 22025

Are corridors and exits free of obstructions and hazardous materials/processes in accordance with the UW Corridor Policy?
All exit corridors must remain free of hazardous materials, equipment, storage, and other materials and debris in accordance with the UW corridor policy.

For more information, see Fire Safety and Prevention.

UW Corridors and unassigned spaces policy
Hazardous Materials Storage and Disposal

Are all shop chemicals and waste containers in good condition, compatible with contents, labeled correctly, and fully closed?
All containers, including secondary containers, used to hold chemicals, mixtures, or hazardous waste must be compatible with their contents, labeled as to contents and hazards, and be in good condition. Chemicals and hazardous waste containers need to segregated and stored by hazard class (e.g. flammables, acids, bases, etc.) so that incompatible materials cannot react with each other.

Guidance on containers and waste management can be found in the Managing Lab Chemicals course, in the Hazardous Waste Management course, and in the Hazardous Waste Checklist.

WAC 296-800-17025

Are wastes (such as oily rags/contaminated shop towels) properly stored, and disposed of on a regular and routine basis?
Containers of shop towels must be kept closed during collection, transportation and storage; be in good condition; be labeled with the words "contaminated shop towels;" and be compatible with materials stored in them. Contaminated shop towels should be kept in a closed metal container to prevent combustion.

Hazardous waste containers need to segregated and stored by hazard class (e.g. flammables, acids, bases, etc.) so that incompatible materials cannot react with each other.

Guidance on containers and waste management can be found in the Managing Lab Chemicals course, in the Hazardous Waste Management course, and in the Hazardous Waste Checklist.

- IFC 304.3
- IFC 2703


Are all hazardous material quantities in storage and in use within limits allowed by the Fire Code?
Quantities of flammable and combustible liquids in excess of 10 gallons (38 liters) must be stored in a flammable liquid storage cabinet.

- IFC 3404
- UW Laboratory Safety Manual
Electrical Safety

Do all machines that are hardwired or have the potential to release stored energy have Lock Out Tag Out (LOTO) procedures?
All machines that cannot be unplugged or have the potential to release stored energy are required to have specific LOTO procedures and training for all employees to use these procedures. Locks, tags and hasps must be available for use. See the Hazardous Energy Control: Lockout/Tagout webpage for more information about developing one for your shop.

- WAC 296-803
- WAC 296-45
35 Are electrical panels and breakers, and equipment shut off switches accessible and labeled?
Provide at least three (3) feet clearance in front of electrical panel(s) and breaker boxes so there is unrestricted access in case of emergency shut down is necessary.
- WAC 296-155-444(10)(i) Table I-1
- NEC (NFPA 70)
36 Are extension cords used only as temporary wiring and not running under carpets, doors, or through walls and ceilings?
Extension cords may not be used as permanent wiring for fixed equipment. Where possible install new electrical outlets to eliminate the use of extension cords. Extension cords are acceptable for portable handheld equipment that is stored when not being used.
IFC 605
37 Is equipment with motors, heaters, and other high amperage needs plugged directly into wall receptacles?
Any equipment with a motor or heating feature such as drills, lathes, presses, saws should be plugged directly into a wall or floor receptacle because the amperage drawn often exceeds that of an extension cord.
IFC 605
Hoists and Lift Equipment

Are cranes maintained and inspected as required, and operators trained?
A "crane" is a machine for lifting and lowering a load and moving it horizontally, with the hoisting mechanism as an integral part of the machine. Cranes can be fixed or mobile and manual or power driven.

Overhead and gantry cranes, including semi gantry, cantilever gantry, wall cranes, jib cranes, storage bridge cranes, and others having the same fundamental characteristics, with a capacity of a half ton or greater, must be maintained and inspected.

This service should be conducted by qualified personnel. See a list of crane inspection firms in the Seattle area.
Operators must be competent and qualified but need not be certified as required for construction cranes. Operator training should be documented.

EH&S will request inspection and maintenance records and ask a question regarding operator competency.
Hoists not associated with cranes should also be inspected, maintained and safely operated but fixed hoists (those that lift and have no horizontal movement) are not being evaluated as part of this survey.

WAC 296-24-23501

Fire Safety/Prevention

Are fire extinguishers available, easily accessible and free of obstructions?
Fire extinguishers must be conspicuously located along normal paths of travel and may not be obstructed or obscured from view. The fire extinguisher must be secured on a hanger, on a bracket, or in a cabinet/wall recess. The pressure gauge reading should be in the operable position. Verify monthly these requirements are met.

Fire extinguishers should be the appropriate type for the hazard and within 50 feet of travel from the operations involving electrical hazards and chemicals, and 75 feet for ordinary combustibles. Ideally fire extinguishers should be located within the shop but a corridor location is acceptable if within the stipulated travel distance.

EH&S will evaluate the shop for the proper type of fire extinguisher, ensure the travel distance is acceptable and that the units are accessible. Extinguishers should be mounted on walls or columns.

Mounting height should be between 3.5 to 5 feet from floor to the top of the fire extinguisher. The bottom of the fire extinguisher must not be within 4 inches of the floor. Shops should be equipped with multipurpose (ABC) fire extinguishers or a combination of different extinguishers.

If your shop works with flammable metals such as magnesium, titanium, uranium, potassium, calcium, sodium, and lithium you must have a Class D fire extinguisher. Alternately, dry talc, sand or a similar material may be acceptable depending upon the shop activity.

- IFC 906
- NFPA 10
40 Have fire extinguishers been inspected in the last year and been fully charged?
Fire extinguishers should be tested annually. For service on the main campus contact Facility Services at (206) 543-1900. For other facilities confer with your building management.

IFC 906

41 Can all shop users hear alarms or is there a process to notify users of alarms in high noise areas?
All staff must be able to hear the fire alarm when it activates over ambient shop noise. Surveyors will ask shop occupants about their recollection of audibility when the alarm was last activated. Visual alarms are acceptable for high-noise areas.

WAC 296-800-31071

42 Are there 18 inches of clearance between stored items and fire sprinklers, and are fire sprinklers unobstructed and unpainted?
Maintain a minimum of 18 inches between materials stored on shelves and sprinkler heads. Shelves on the perimeter of the room are not subject to this height limitation.

IFC 315


Natalie Daranyi

(206) 543-0469