Questions & Answers

What kind of screening do I need to have done?

The extent of the screening depends on the nature of your job.

We need to know the exact nature of your work. If you are involved in research, we need to know the name of your principle investigator.

Your medical history is very important, including allergies and current medications.

Your past immunizations record is very important and you should bring any records to your first appointment. This would include past tetanus, measles, mumps, rubella, rabies and chicken pox vaccines or disease.

We may need to provide immunizations such as Hepatitis B and measles. Lab work may be ordered to test for antibodies, especially for Hepatitis B. Your worksite may require a PPD skin test for tuberculosis yearly. If you have not had a PPD skin test in the last year and your job will require yearly surveillance, you may require a 2-step PPD. This means two separate skin tests to verify that you do not have active TB.

Other jobs at the university require highly specialized physical exams, including HazMat, scuba and police department. These exams are also performed by the EHC staff.

These are just some examples of the services we provide to keep our employees safe while performing their jobs.


Why do I have to come to EHC for screening?

There are many research projects underway at the University of Washington and each employee who participates must be evaluated for risks related to human, animal, biological, physical and chemical hazards. Most important is the assessment of the health status of the individual prior to his or her participation in the research project.

There are also certain jobs which require highly specialized physical exams. These exams are scheduled and completed by the EHC staff.