The 2018 update to the University’s Biohazardous Waste Management Plan is now posted online.
Summary of changes:
- Clarification on treatment procedures for extracted human teeth. Extracted teeth (without amalgam) are considered human pathological waste and are to be incinerated prior to disposal. Teeth containing amalgam are collected by EH&S for treatment at an off-site facility.
- Scope of manual broadened to include all UW campuses.
- Links were updated and language was clarified throughout.
- Contact information was updated.
- Reference to Waste Characterization Determinations was removed as Seattle/King County Public Health has discontinued the program.
The plan revisions were approved by both the Infectious Waste Committee and the Institutional Biosafety Committee.