Nurses on wards where radiation patients are treated are issued Luxel
dosimeters only. Nurses on other floors that care exclusively for patients
with permanent implants do not receive dosimeters. This is because any dose
received would be far below regulatory monitoring requirements.
Visitors will not be given dosimeters since their exposure is limited
through the procedures outlined in this manual.
Dose results are sent to each area monthly and are also available from
Radiation Safety at any time upon request.
What are my dose limits! (Additional information can be found in the
University of Washington Radiation
Safety Manual Section 6-5) .
Annual Radiation Dose Limits
- Total effective dose equivalent equal to 5,000 mrem (5
rem), and no individual organ dose (e.g., thyroid) greater than 50,000 mrem
- Skin and extremities = 50,000 mrem (50 rem)
- Exception: Lens of eye = 15,000 mrem (15 rem)
- Embryo/Fetus of Declared Radiation Worker = 500 mrem (0.5
rem) for gestational period
- General Public = 100 mrem (0.1 rem)