This page serves as a guide to direct you to occupational health and medical
management information for UW Biosafety Level 3 (BSL-3) research. Use the
Management Sharepoint site to access a list of agents used in the facility,
agent-specific information, and medical management plans.
Employees who develop symptoms must notify the EH&S Responsible Official (RO)/Alternate Responsible
Official (ARO) and be evaluated by the Employee Health Center or other healthcare provider immediately.
Symptom development is:
- temperature >100.4°F (38°C), and/or
- symptoms consistent with infection from research agents, such as cough, shortness of breath,
chest pain, general body aches, or skin lesions.
During business hours (Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.):
- Call Employee Health Center at 206.685.1026.
- Call EH&S RO/ARO at 206.221.7770.
Outside business hours:
- Call UW Medical Center Paging Operator at 206.906.8082.
Call UW Police at 206.685.UWPD(8973).
- Identify yourself as UW Select Agent/BSL-3 worker. Request to speak to the Campus Health Physician.
Be prepared to provide your name and phone number.
- If no response from physician within 30 minutes, take this card and go to the ER at UWMC, Harborview, or nearest ER.
- Ask UWPD to page the EH& staff on call to reach RO/ARO.
For questions about BSL-3 and select agents, contact the UW Select Agent Program at
email@example.com or 206.221.7770.