April 23, 2015
The April edition of EH&S News is now available:
- Lesson Learned: Nitrogen and Lithium Can Be Incompatible
- New UW Shop Safety Program
- New Lockout/Tagout Program to Protect UW Workers from Hazards
- Disaster Response Teams Practice in Old Nuclear Reactor
- Safety Portal Consolidates UW Safety Resources
- Staff Spotlight: Ellen Morley
- Announcements: Worker Memorial Day Event and CSHEMA Conference
Compressed and Cryogenic Gas Hazards Safety Training – Classroom
This hands-on classroom course will cover the specific hazards of working with cryogenic fluids/gases and hazardous compressed gases including flammable, toxic, corrosive, and pyrophoric gases and how to implement safe work practices and storage. Attendees should complete the Compressed Gas Safety – Online class prior to attending.
April 22nd, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, in HUB 337
You can register online at http://www.ehs.washington.edu/psotrain/corsdesc.shtm#ccgh
April Institutional Biosafety Committee Meeting
March 24, 2015
The next scheduled meeting of the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) will be held on the third Wednesday of the month
on April 15, 2015 from 10 am to noon, location to be determined.
February 24, 2015
The February edition of EH&S News is now available:
- How to Safely Use Extension Cords
- Take Care of Your Heart
- 2014 UW Work-Related Injury and Illness Summaries Now Online
- Staff Spotlight: Erin McKeown
- What's New: Work Safely with Cyanides
- Announcements: EH&S Expert Talks About Ergonomics at UW
Job Opening for You
February 6, 2015
The UW Department of Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) currently has an outstanding opportunity
for a Program Operations Specialist/Hazardous Materials Shipping Coordinator to join our Environmental
Programs Team. In support of the University of Washington’s teaching, research, and service missions,
EH&S assists organizational units in meeting their responsibility to protect the environment and to
provide a safe and healthful place of employment and learning.
For more information, visit http://www.washington.edu/admin/hr/jobs/
and refer to requisition 116609. See you soon!
January 27th, 2015
The MyChem database moved to a new server on 1/27/15. The web address http://mychem.ehs.washington.edu will automatically redirect to the new server address https://cspc.admin.uw.edu/mychem/.
December 19, 2014
The December edition of EH&S News is now available:
- Happy Holidays From EH&S
- How to Prepare for an Emergency in Your Building
- Beware the Scamper of Little Feet: Avoiding Rats and Mice
- Staying Healthy During Flu Season
- Staff Spotlight: Mike Zittle
- What's New: Tent Permits and 2014 Safety Manual Revisions
Print your own Safety Training Certificates
So you want a safety training certificate for the Asbestos class you took last
week, well now you can print a copy for yourself! Simply follow the link to
My EH&S Training, and
you can print certificates for classes (with about one week delay) you have taken
through Environmental Health and Safety. Enjoy!
UW Digital Security Certificate
A number of commonly used applications on the EH&S website, including but not limited to OARS Version 2
and the online General Asbestos Awareness Training, generate errors if your computer does not have the UW
security certificate loaded. If, when attempting to access one of these applications, you get an error message
indicating that the security certificate is invalid or unknown, then go to
for instructions on how to update your computer's security certificate. This same certificate will also work for
many other University applications.