The University of Washington has established 10 organizational health
and safety committees (HSCs). Each of the organizational unit committees look
at the accident / incident reports pertinent to their area for evaluation
and resolution of any on-going issues. Elections are held every two years.
The Seattle campus is divided into 8 organizational committees by department or
unit. The branch campuses each have their own organizational committees which, when taken with Seattle committees, make a total of 10. These organizational committees each send two representatives to the University-Wide Health and Safety
Committee referred to as the "U-Wide."
Membership Roster -- Representatives and meeting information for all groups.
Expanded Committee Information --
Find the committee that represents your work area and how you can participate. Click here to get rosters, organizations within each committee, committee websites, and Executive Sponsors.
The Department of Labor and Industries requires annual employee elections for HSCs.
The University of Washington has a variance allowing elections every two years. Staff
or faculty, whether full-time, temporary, hourly, or student workers, are eligible to participate.
In 2014, HSC Group 5, College of Built Environments, was merged with HSC Group 1, Administrative and Other Academic Programs. In 2015, HSC Group 12, UW Medicine, was renamed HSC Group 5 to fill this vacancy in numbering.
For more information you may contact the Chairs for the Organizational Health & Safety Committee that represents your organization:
- Administrative and Other Academic Programs (Leslie Anderson 221-6482)
- Finance and Facilities (Chad Cook, email@example.com)
- Student Life (Paul Zuchowski, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Health Sciences (Melinda Young, email@example.com)
- UW Medicine (Liz Kindred, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- College of Arts and Sciences (Paul Miller, email@example.com)
- UW Bothell (Betsy Brown, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- UW Tacoma (Alex Volkman, email@example.com or Hannah Wilson, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- College of Engineering (Sonia Honeydew, email@example.com)
- College of the Environment (David Warren, firstname.lastname@example.org)
The UW election process is closely coordinated by the organizational committee's
Election Coordinator, generally a management appointee, who assures that all UW employees have the opportunity to participate in the election.
EH&S has developed training for safety committees and made available centralized materials, references, and assistance.
Web-based tools are available through Catalyst.
Guidelines for the Biennial Organizational Health and Safety Committee Process
Health and Safety Committee Member Training
The University-Wide (U-Wide) Health and Safety Committee is comprised of
member representation from each of the 10 Organizational Health and Safety
Committees, along with a Faculty Senate member, union representation, and and ex-officio members.
See the University's Administrative Policy Statement
for detailed information on the Health and Safety Committees. If you have
suggestions or ideas about how safety can be improved at UW, please send a
note to our Suggestion Box.